View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Charlotte
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Number of posts : 87

Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: special sweeper paradise   Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:49 pm

not just because it's full of special sweepers, but because i lack a real special wall.
very basic, practically self-explanatory.

salamence @ choice specs
modest
intimidate
6 hp, 252 spatk, 252 spe
-draco meteor
-flamethrower
-hydro pump
-dragon pulse

here's the logic. people know specsmence is common. people expect me to use mixmence or cbmence so that i'm trying to be "different". specsmence takes them totally by surprise. very effective, this team would definitely not be any success without a strong lead and overall strong sweeper. you know the drill, open with draco meteor, switch out, bring back in, predict the counter and hit with flamethrower/hydro pump until you're free to sweep with dragon pulse.

metagross @ choice band
adamant
clear body
252 hp, 252 atk, 6 spdef
-meteor mash
-thunderpunch
-earthquake
-explosion

i've never been a fan of choice items, but this really works just fine. as metagross is a steel/psychic type, metagross and salamence back each other's weaknesses up perfectly, and in some cases i could just switch them in and out and sweep without even going to the other 4 members. obviously that'll be a rare occasion, but because it works in theory, in practice it is still a very strong combination.

houndoom @ life orb
timid
flash fire
40 hp, 252 spatk, 216 spe
-nasty plot
-dark pulse
-fire blast
-substitute

powerhouse. nasty plot life orb fire blast has a chance of 2hkoing blissey even without the flash fire boost. substitute helps to scout moves, buy time, whatever. secondary back up to metagross's fire weakness.

vaporeon @ leftovers
bold
water absorb
188 hp, 252 def, 68 spatk
-yawn
-wish
-surf
-ice beam

nonstandard wish passer. i love yawn. ran protect instead on cartridge because breeding yawn requires a smeargle, which i totally don't appreciate. provides defensive backup for well...everyone else. salamence's ice weakness, metagross's low special defense, houndoom and donphan's water, and gengar is overall fragile. this is part of why this team really sucks, it depends too much on vaporeon's survival.

gengar @ life orb
hasty
levitate
136 atk, 156 spatk, 216 spe
-explosion
-shadow ball
-thunderbolt
-focus blast

always ohko's blissey (attack stat of 200 + base 250 power + halving blissey's defense = no more blissey). important, because blissey totally walls the team (minus metagross but w/e). spin blocker.

donphan @ leftovers
impish
sturdy
252 hp, 6 atk, 252 def
-stealth rock
-ice shard
-earthquake
-rapid spin

standard spinner/rocker/physical wall. that's it.

again, very simple, very OU team. considering getting dusknoir instead of gengar (misdreavus/mismagius breeds pain split, right?) to make it much less fragile. i'd have more problems with blissey, though. tbh i just picked gengar because of the superior type resistance, but in retrospect, the fact that dusknoir doesn't hover and is open to poison- and grass-type attacks would really be nullified by his superior defenses.

i'd enjoy some suggestions, those would be very useful. type-wise, this team has no weaknesses, which is decently solid, but the fact that they lack in the "monster defensive stats" department leaves much to be desired.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ScaldingHotSoup
Baby pokemon
Baby pokemon

Number of posts : 92

Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: special sweeper paradise   Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:14 am

You could put Heracross in there. I'm a big fan of Heracross. Very Happy

Looks really nice, I think that the strengths more than compensate for the relative physical weaknesses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Snakehead
Admin Leader
Admin Leader

Number of posts : 305
Friend Codes : Pearl:Can't remeber Diamond: Can't remeber

Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: special sweeper paradise   Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:15 pm

Charlotte wrote:
here's the logic. people know specsmence is common. people expect me to use mixmence or cbmence so that i'm trying to be "different". specsmence takes them totally by surprise.

What about if the logic was: People know specsmence is common, so they expect you to try to outwit them by using a specsmence and therefor they get a nice little Sp.wall like blissey to counter it?

Have you tries out this team? What I'm interested in is the metagross, simply because, I also tried a choice band metagross with the same EV and moveset as you have got and it failed miserably for me. So tell me how you get on.

By the way were do you get all these teams from? Do you work in a Pokelab which works 24/7 to find out great OU teams?

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pokemonarena.forumandco.com
Dominic
Co Admin
Co Admin

Number of posts : 99

Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: special sweeper paradise   Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:28 pm

ScaldingHotSoup wrote:

Looks really nice, I think that the strengths more than compensate for the relative physical weaknesses.

When I used to make teams, every one had both Heracross and Porygon-Z.

Sorry, that was off-topic...

The team looks good though.

I am Dominic the Betlwedl, formerly known as Dratini. You can call me Dom for short, if you'd like.
Brawl friend code: 1976-9883-9274
Pokemon Pearl Friend Code: 4467-8858-2422
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.betlwedl.com
Charlotte
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Number of posts : 87

Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: special sweeper paradise   Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:00 am

to open up my comments:
focus sash ice shard sd weavile (lead), specsmence, and shuca berry metagross make for an excellent 3v3 team. try them out in the battle tower if you ever get the chance - i easily racked up a 100-win streak (and my first +40 win streak EVER) using them.

ScaldingHotSoup wrote:

response to item one, "you could":
on the contrary, hot soup. if i failed to mention, gengar sweeps right through this team if it's at all faster than the gengar i've got on hand, and replacing heracross with anybody here would not help that fact. only pursuit choice band or stone edge choice scarf heracross would really do anything to gengar, and as it is, two choice users on my team is quite enough.

response to item two, "looks":
thank you for the compliment, and if i hadn't tested this team out on shoddy yet, i would be very inclined to agree with you. however, boltbeam users like starmie and pseudo-boltbeam users like jolteon really rip through this team with their high special attack and speed. hell, throw any speedy OU special sweeper and an experienced battler at this team, and they all go down like a ton of bricks. this is one of the reasons i am strongly considering dusknoir in the place of gengar as the spin blocker - in addition to making a somewhat decent all-purpose wall, i have few qualms losing gengar considering that my team is already top-heavy in the "special sweeping" and "blissey countering" department.

Snakehead wrote:
What about if the logic was: People know specsmence is common, so they expect you to try to outwit them by using a specsmence and therefor they get a nice little Sp.wall like blissey to counter it?

Have you tries out this team? What I'm interested in is the metagross, simply because, I also tried a choice band metagross with the same EV and moveset as you have got and it failed miserably for me. So tell me how you get on.

By the way were do you get all these teams from? Do you work in a Pokelab which works 24/7 to find out great OU teams?
response to question one, "what about":
it's against human nature to think past the double negative. either they think it's a specsmence because they expect a specsmence, or they double-guess and believe it's mixmence or cbmence. in fact, the first instinct is to assume it's a mixmence, simply because it's the most practical option. mixmence breaks the most walls and wreaks havoc for the most extended period of time in the early game. barring perfect prediction, all teams will lose at least one pokemon to a mixmence before it's forced to switch out. to answer the second part of your question, blissey takes a healthy amount of damage from a full-powered draco meteor (148 hp/0 spdef beneficial takes damage equal to what WOULD be a sure 3hko) and approximately 90% of the time will use something like wish or softboiled as i switch in a counter (which my team is chock full of, actually). blissey has nothing on this team really; besides sing variants, she can't do anything useful to me whatsoever.

response to question two, "have you":
yes. i only really have use for cbgross in the early game, as it's usually my number one counter for anything they try to throw at salamence. meteor mash does splendid damage to basically everybody, earthquake and thunderpunch pick off the necessary trouble pokemon, and explosion is uh, kind of useless. to ease prediction, a simple shuca berry substitution turns cbgross into a standalone physical sweeper who can still cause healthy amounts of damage, especially if you get that useful (and quite likely) attack boost from meteor mash. overall, metagross performs just as expected of any powerful choice users, and is thankfully a little sturdier than others. if i had one thing to say about my use of this team, it'd be that i miss the sturdiness of my tauntrados team very much.

response to question three, "by the way":
no magic, no lab. i basically have no life and i haven't seen direct sunlight for over three weeks. i'm too busy stalking the internet girl who i'm unhealthily infatuated with, and probably has no clue that i like her better than just a friend. when i'm not stalking, i play guitar hero 2, masturbate, read too many books, and practice several different musical instruments. when i'm learning some of the more technical yet repetitive pieces for the piano (like all that chopin-type "i think it would be cool to do really complicated things with one hand at really high speeds" pieces) practicing can be tedious sometimes, so i usually play pokemon with one hand and practice fingering crap like runs and trills with the other. theoretically, i could also masturbate and play pokemon at the same time, but that's just silly, and perhaps a little bit creepy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: special sweeper paradise   

Back to top Go down

special sweeper paradise
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1